Happy 4th of July, all! I’ve been trying to do a video around this (and I will), but given that it’s a big day for outdoor cooking, I wanted to go ahead and share. What follows is a handful of dessert recipes perfect for the campfire – a little variety that goes beyond marshmallows on a stick. Good enough for any time of year, but the holiday makes a good excuse. Give them a try and let me know how it goes!
Apple Pie Crescents
Crescent rolls – the store-bought refrigerated “tube” kind
Apple Pie Filling (or, if you’re creative, fresh apples with cinnamon and sugar)
Crushed walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Unwrap the crescents and lay each flat.
- Place pie filling and nuts in the center, then roll up from one corner.
- Wrap in aluminum foil, and place in the coals (not in the fire itself) for about 3 minutes, flip, and let cook another 3 minutes. NOTE: You MAY want a little cooking spray on the foil, just in case you overcook and the rolls stick.
- Unwrap and enjoy!
Crescent Rolls (again, the store-bought kind in a tube)
Pudding, jelly, or other similar “topping”
A smooth, clean stick about the size of your thumb. A broom handle works in a pinch.
- Unwrap the crescents, and wind them around the stick, including a “cap” over the end, so that the dough forms a cup over the end of your stick.
- Carefully, place the stick over the coals (not the fire), and rotate while the dough bakes. It will be done when golden brown, and when thumped it makes a “hollow” sound.
- Remove the bread with a little twisting motion, fill the resulting cup with pudding or jelly, and enjoy!
Banana Boats (S’mores version)
Banana (slightly unripe. Not green, but not mushy)
Graham Crackers (crumbled)
- Leaving peel on, split banana lengthwise so it opens like a hotdog bun
- Stuff in marshmallows, chocolate, and crumbled graham crackers
- Wrap in aluminum foil, and place in coals for 3 minutes. Turn and cook another 3 minutes.
- Unwrap – marshmallows and chocolate should be fully melted. Scoop the goodness straight out of the peel with a spoon, or dive in.
Bananas Foster Boats
Banana (Slightly unripe. Not green, but not squishy)
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
Pinch of Cinnamon
2 Tbsp Whiskey
1 Tbsp Butter
- Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and whiskey.
- Leaving the peel on, split the banana open lengthwise without cutting through the peel on the opposite side. Open like a hotdog bun.
- Stuff banana with sugar/whiskey mixture. Top with butter and marshmallows.
- Wrap with aluminum foil, and place in coals for 3 minutes. Rotate and cook another 3 minutes.
These are fun for all ages, require minimal prep, and are easy to clean up. Give them a try, next time you’re sitting around the campfire!
Get Out There